Each semester the Climate, People, and the Environment Program hosts a weekly seminar featuring lectures by visiting speakers as well as presentations by CPEP faculty, scientists, and students. In some semesters the CPEP Seminar has a unifying theme and, in addition to speakers, weekly meetings may serve as workshops to discuss research issues and be a springboard for collaborative papers. CPEP seminar presentations are held in conjunction with the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (AOS) and are open to the public. Events are listed in the weekly Environmental Events newsletter distributed by the Nelson Institute and posted in AOS and other relevant departments.
CCR/CPEP Fall 2013 Seminar Schedule
CCR/CPEP Spring 2013 Seminar Schedule
- 13-Sep-2013: Curt Meine, Aldo Leopold Foundation
"Sustainability in Time and Space: Communicating the “Big Picture” of Conservation History and Environmental Change"
- 20-Sep-2013: Chris Kucharik, UW-Madison Department of Agronomy
"Developing a Framework to Assess the Impacts of Climate Change, Shifting Land Use, and Urbanization on Ecosystem Services in a Midwestern Agricultural Landscape"
- 27-Sep-2013: TBA
- 4-Oct-2013: No Seminar
- 11-Oct-2013: Cora Betsinger, UW-Madison Biochemistry and Genetics, Undergraduate Reid Bryson Scholarship Winner
"Proteomics, Mass Spectrometry, and the Search for Ancient Troy"
- 18-Oct-2013: No Seminar, CCR 50th Anniversary Celebration
- 25-Oct-2013: Wilko Graf von Hardenberg, UW-Madison Environmental History
"The mean sea level. A history of science, technology and diplomacy"
- 1-Nov-2013: Simon Donner, Department of Geography, University of British Columbia
"Coral reefs in a warming world: Climate resilience lessons from the Central Equatorial Pacific"
- 8-Nov-2013: Brenna Holzhauer, Aldo Leopold Nature Center, Climate Education Center
"Climate Education at the Aldo Leopold Nature Center: a 21st Century Approach"
- 15-Nov-2013: Michael Notaro, Center for Climatic Research
"Projected Change in Heavy Lake-Effect Snowstorms Across the Great Lakes Basin"
- 22-Nov-2013: Feng He, Center for Climatic Research
"Glacial inception during the late Holocene without carbon emissions from early agriculture"
- 29-Nov-2013: No Seminar, Thanksgiving
- 6-Dec-2013: Karen Russ, UW-Madison Department of Geography, Center for Climatic Research
"The Hydrological Cycle Response to Rapid versus Slow Global Warming"
- 13-Dec-2013: TBA (AGU Week)
CCR/CPEP Fall 2012 Seminar Schedule
- 1-Feb-2013: Paul Robbins
"Lessons from panthers, turfgrass, and mosquitoes: A Vision for the Gaylord Nelson Institute"
**1:00, Room 1025, Research Presentation Room, College of Engineering, 1550 Engineering Drive**
- 8-Feb-2013: Stan Temple
"Aldo Leopold, Phenology and Climate Change"
- 15-Feb-2013: Colin Cooke
"Linking geoarchaeological and paleoenvironmental archives of ancient mining and metallurgy in the Andes"
**1:00pm, Sift & Winnow Room (2nd Floor) at Union South**
- 22-Feb-2013: Dan Vimont
"Update on the Wisconsin Initiative on Climate Change Impacts"
- 1-Mar-2013: Mick Follows
"Southern Ocean Overturning Circulation and Atmospheric CO2"
- 8-Mar-2013: Simon Goring
"Vegetation-climate relationships using historical climate data from the 19th Century Forts & Observer Database, expanding species realized niches"
- 15-Mar-2013: Yan Yu
"Combining satellite, radiometric, and station data to study the temporal and spatial variations in atmospheric dust over Saudi Arabia"
- 22-Mar-2013: TBA
- 29-Mar-2013: No Talk Scheduled - Spring Break
- 5-Apr-2013: Rob Spencer
From the Arctic to the Equator: The Role of Rivers in the Carbon Cycle
- 12-Apr-2013: Jason Vargo
"Interactions Between Urban Planning and Regional Extreme Heat"
- 19-Apr-2013: TBA
- 25-Apr-2013: Evan Larson "Shifting States in Climate, Tree Growth, and Ecosystem Dynamics at Arctic and Alpine Treelines"
**12:30 in Room 811**
- 3-May-2013: Malgorzata Golub
"Drivers of Temporal Variability in Aquatic Carbon Cycling: Analysis of Multi-Decade and High-Frequency CO2 Observations in North Temperate Lakes"
- 10-May-2013: Dominique Brossard
"Science Communication in the Online World: Challenges and Opportunities"
- 29-May-2013: Apurva Dave
"Large-Scale Physical Controls on Low- and Mid-Latitude Marine Primary Productivity"
CCR/CPEP Spring 2012 Seminar Schedule
CCR/CPEP Fall 2011 Seminar Schedule
- 9-Feb-2012: Guangshan Chen
"Rethink the effects of Tebetan Plateau on Asian Monsoon"
- 17-Feb-2012: Jessica Blois
"Community responses to paleoclimate change"
- 24-Feb-2012: Simon Goring
"Holocene reconstructions for British Colombia, Canada using pollen as a proxy for climate: Applications, validation and trepidation"
- 15-Mar-2012: Raghu Murtugudde
"Regional Earth System Prediction - Water, Health, and Agriculture"
**Thursday** at 1:00 am in room 823
- 23-Mar-2012: Steve Vavrus
"Modeling Lake Ice with a Spreadsheet"
- 13-Apr-2012: Britta Jensen
"The AD 1600 eruption of Huaynaputina, Peru: tephrochronology through the lens of archaeology, ice cores, and lake sediments"
- 27-Apr-2012: Natalie Hunt
"Role of biofuels in meeting our future energy demands"
- FRIDAY 3-May-2012: Regan Early
"Species range shifts and the many dimensions of the ecological niche"
This will be in room 823.
- 11-May-2012: Val Bennington
"Great Lakes water levels using a regional climate model"
CCR/CPEP Spring 2011 Seminar Schedule
- 9/8/2011: Mark Serreze
"Arctic Amplification, the outsized warming of the Arctic compared to the rest of the planet"
- 9/29/2011: Alejandro Ordonez
"Climate change velocity in the state of Wisconsin"
- 10/12/2011: Michael Notaro
"Influence of Rocky Mountain snowpack on the North American monsoon"
- 10/25/2011: Allison Steiner
"Climate feedbacks from pollen as a biogenic aersol"
At 11:00 am in room 811 or 823
- 11/3/2011: Jennifer Shmitz
"The response of northern Wisconsin lake phytoplankton communities to drought events over the past 100 years"
- 11/10/20011: Fuyao Wang
- 11/17/2011: Nicholas David Preston
"the dotSkapes Project, and how these tools could be implemented for other global scale problems"
- 12/1/2011: Shu Wu
"On the observed relationship between the Pacific Decadal Oscillation and the Atlantic Multi-decadal Oscillation"
- 12/8/2011: Rachel Licker
"Integrating Climatic and Social Factors in Assessing Crop Yield Gaps: A Case Study Comparing the Breadbaskets of France and Russia"
- 12/15/2011: Feng He
"The biogeophysical effects of Holocene anthropogenic land cover changes in CCSM4"
CCR/CPEP 2010 Fall Seminars
- 2/4/2011: Janel Hanrahan, UW Milwaukee
"Recent climate impacts on teh water levels of Lakes Michigan and Huron"
- 2/11/2011: Bjorn Brooks, UW Madison
"Sources of variability, spatial representativeness, and filtering of mountaintop CO2 mixing ratios for application to carbon exchange inversion models"
- 2/18/2011: Tracy Holloway, UW Madison
"Air Quality, Energy, and Climate"
- 2/25/2011: Alerto Reyes, UW Madison
"Re-thinking temporal trends of deglacial and Holocene peatland inititation: implactions for the long-term role of peatlands in the carbon cycle"
- 3/4/2011: Sapna Sharma, UW Madison
"Will northern fish poplulations be in hot water because of climate change?"
- 3/11/2011: no talk scheduled yet
- 3/18/2011: spring break (no seminar)
- 3/25/2011: CPEP Pilot Project Awardee Presentations
Presentations by: Michael Notaro, Karen Russ, Kelsey Winsor, Yan Yu
- 4/1/2011: Kevin Mueller, University of Minnesota (12:30pm in AOSS 1209)
"Evaluating tree species effects on soil nitrogen and the implications for a predictive understanding of forest biogeochemistry and climate feebacks"
- 4/8/2011: David Ullman, UW Madison
"Baraboo Hills to Bear Caves: A new chronology of ice sheet retreat in Wisconsin"
- 4/15/2011: Kelsey Winsor, UW Madison
"Last deglacial ice sheet retreat along the southwestern coast of Greenland"
- 4/21/2011 (Thursday): Scott Loarie, Stanford University (3:30 pm in AOSS 811)
"Reconciling direct climate impacts iwth carbon emissions: a case study in the Brazilian Cerrado"
- 4/29/2011: Nancy Parker, UW Madison
"The influence of climate, cattle density, and lake morphology on Sporormiella abundances in modern lake sediments"
- 5/6/2011: Anders Carlson, UW Madison
"Preliminary Holocene history of the southwst Greenland ice sheet"
CCR/CPEP Spring 2010 Seminar Schedule
- 9/10/2010: Samantha Siedlecki, University of Chicago.
"The role of the bottom boundary layer in biogeochemical cycles of the coastal ocean." (note: 12-1pm in AOSS 1209)
- 9/16/2010: Gerald Meehl, NCAR
"Simulations of 20th and 21st century climates, problems and prospects: an informal discussion." (note: Thursday, 3-4pm, in AOSS 811)
- 10/1/2010: Jessica Blois, UW Madison.
"Ecological responses of wildlife to past climate change."
- 10/15/2010: Sam Munoz, UW Madison.
"Integrating humans into paleoecology"
- 10/22/2010: Frederick Nelson, University of Delaware
"The Circumpolar Active Layer Monitoring (CALM III) Network: Long-Term Observations on the Climate-Active Layer-Permafrost System" (note: 12:15-1:15pm in AOSS)
- 1209; Co-sponsored by the Department of Geography)
- 10/29/2010: Chad Rittenhouse, UW Madison.
"Synergies and tradeoffs among climate change mitigation strategies for Wisconsin's forests"
- 11/5/2010: Yarrow Axford, Northwestern University.
"Vikings, midges and Holocene lake mud: Late Holocene paleoclimate studies on Iceland" (*note: seminar will be in Weeks A259)
- 11/9/2010: Charlotte Streck, Director of Climate Focus
"The Intersection of Climate Science, Politics and Public Opinion: A Crisis of Confidence in Climate Policy?" (note: seminar is Tuesday, 4-5pm, in AOSS 823).
- 11/19/2010: Mike Notaro, UW Madison.
"Influence of Vegetation Feedbacks on Monsoons"
- 12/3/2010: Kate Brauman, University of Minnesota
- 12/10/2010: Sierra Pope, University of Ottawa
"Reductions in Multiyear Landfast Sea Ice in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago"
- 1/28/2010: David Nogues-Bravo, Center for Macroecology, Evolution and Climate, University of Copenhagen.
"Climate Predictors of Late Quaternary Extinctions."
- 2/04/2010: Lisa Colville, Department of Geoscience, UW Madison.
"Extent of the Southern Ice Sheet During Marine Isotope Stage 5e."
- 2/11/2010: Larissa Back, Department of Atmospheric and Ocean Sciences, UW Madison.
- 2/18/2010: No Seminar
- 2/22/2010: Subodh Sharma, Department of Biological Sciences, Towson University.
"Warming signs of Climate Change in the Himalaya. " (Note: Monday, 12:00).
- 3/04/2010: Zhengyu Liu, Department of Atmospheric and Ocean Sciences, UW Madison.
"A Review of the Mechanism of Decadal Climate Variability"
- 3/12/2010: Rebecca Goldman, The Nature Conservancy.
"Water funds: Conservation approaches that help people and nature adapt to climate change." (Note: Friday, 11:30)
- 3/18/2010: Ken Raffa, Department of Entomology, UW Madison.
"Anatomy of A Tipping Point: Bark Beetles, Thresholds and Altered Disturbance Regimes."
- 3/26/2010: Gavin Schmidt.
"Can we use palao-climate to enhance the reliability of future climate projections?" (Note: Friday, 11:00).
- 4/08/2010: Carol Barford, Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment, UW Madison.
- 4/15/2010: Anders Carlson, Department of Geosciences, UW Madison.
"What Caused the Younger Dryas? A Review of Existing Hypotheses."
- 4/22/2010: Cancelled
- 4/29/2010: TBA
- 5/06/2010: TBA