Past CPEP Seminars
- 04-Sep-2015: No Seminar
- 11-Sep-2015: No Seminar
- 18-Sep-2015: Jiafu Mao, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
"Disentangling natural and anthropogenic controls on global terrestrial evapotranspiration and vegetation growth trends"
- 25-Sep-2015: Jed Kaplan, University of Lausanne, Switzerland, Institute of Earth Surface Dynamics
"The Effects of Anthropogenic Land Cover Change on Global and Regional Climate in the Preindustrial Holocene: A Review"
- 02-Oct-2015: Michael Notaro, UW-Madison, Center for Climatic Research
"Shift in Arabian Dust Activity, Triggered by Persistent Fertile Crescent Drought"
- 09-Oct-2015: No Seminar
- 16-Oct-2015: Seminar Cancelled
- 23-Oct-2015: John Mioduszewski, UW-Madison, Center for Climatic Research
"The Economics of Forest Carbon Offsets"Attribution of Trends and Variability in the Melting Arctic Cryosphere"
- 30-Oct-2015: No Seminar
- 06-Nov-2015: Craig Johnston, UW-Madison, Forest and Wildlife Ecology
"The Economics of Forest Carbon Offsets"
- 13-Nov-2015: Anne Sophie Daloz & Ritodhi Chakraborty, UW-Madison, Center for Climatic Research, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
"Evolution of Precipitation in Observations, Reanalysis and Climate Models Over the Himalayas From an Agricultural Point of View"
- 20-Nov-2015: Sarah Larson, University of Miami
"ENSO Predictability: Precursors Versus Perturbation Growth"
- 27-Nov-2015: No Seminar, Thanksgiving
- 04-Dec-2015: Ross Dixon, UW-Madison, Center for Climatic Research
"Saharan Heat Low Biases in the CMIP5 Dataset"
- 11-Dec-2015: Michela Biasutti, Columbia/Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
"Climate Change in the Sahel: Consensus, Uncertainty, and the Way Forward"
- 30-Jan-2015: No Seminar
- 06-Feb-2015: Sheila O'Brien, National Climate Assessment
"Findings from the Third National Climate Assessment"
- 13-Feb-2015: Richard Keller, UW-Madison, Medical History and Bioethics
"Risk, Marginality, and Urban Space: The Role of the Built Environment in the 2003 Paris Heat Wave"
- 20-Feb-2015: Emanuele Di Lorenzo, Georgia Institute of Technology, Earth & Atmospheric Sciences
"Record warming of the North Pacific and failed 2014 El Niño."
***Note: This will be a joint seminar between CPEP and the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Colloquium.***
- 27-Feb-2015: TBD
- 06-Mar-2015: No Seminar, CCR Symposium
- 09-Mar-2015 (Monday): Matt Newman, Cooperative Institute for Research in the Environmental Sciences (CIRES)
"Empirical dynamical models of daily to decadal variability and predictability."
***Note: This will be a joint seminar between CPEP and the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Colloquium. It will be held in AOSS, Room 811, at 3:30pm.***
- 13-Mar-2015: TBA
- 20-Mar-2015: Renee McPherson, University of Oklahoma, South Central Climate Science Center and Dept. of Geography and Environmental Sustainability
"Building a Lasting Legacy: Lessons from the Oklahoma Mesonet."
***Note: This seminar will be held in AOSS, Room 811, at 12:15pm.***
- 27-Mar-2015: Greg Nemet, La Follette School of Public Affairs and Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
"Is Climate Change Mitigation Getting Cheaper? Pricing of installed solar PV systems in the U.S. 2000-2013."
- 03-Apr-2015: No Seminar, Spring Break
- 10-Apr-2015: John Lenters, LimnoTech
"Rapid Warming of the Great Lakes: A Global Perspective”
- 17-Apr-2015: Peter Vitousek, Stanford University, Department of Biology
"Climate, substrate, and soils in Hawaii and New Zealand"
***Note: This seminar will be held in Psychology, Room 113, at 1:30pm.***
- 24-Apr-2015: Steve Vavrus, UW-Madison, Center for Climatic Research
"Characterizing Variations in Wisconsin’s Extreme Weather"
- 01-May-2015: Steve Laubach, UW-Madison, Abortetum
"Schoolyard Ecological Restoration for Climate Resilience: Involving Communities in Green Infrastructure Projects"
- 08-May-2015: Rose Pertzborn, UW-Madison, The GLOBE Program, SSEC
"The Wisconsin Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment (GLOBE) Partnership"
- 05-Sep-2014: No Seminar
- 12-Sep-2014: Jason Otkin, UW-Madison, CIMSS
"Monitoring Drought Conditions Using the Evaporative Stress Index"
- 19-Sep-2014: Ken Potter, UW-Madison, Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engineering
"Adapting to Flood Risk in a Changing Climate"
- 26-Sep-2014: Webinar: Channa Palmer and Tony King, Oak Ridge National Lab
"Introduction and Opportunities at Oak Ridge National Laboratory"
- 03-Oct-2014: Shane Hubbard, UW-Madison, SSEC
"Identifying Patterns of Spatiotemporal Flood Response Events Based Upon the Priorities of Decision Makers"
- 10-Oct-2014: Joe Milanovich, Loyola University Chicago, Dept. of Biology
"Using Species Distribution Models to Inform Amphibian Conservation Decisions Involving Climate and Land-use Change"
- 17-Oct-2014: Holly Gibbs, UW-Madison, SAGE and Dept. of Geography
"Leveraging Supply Chain Governance to Reduce Deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon"
- 24-Oct-2014: Dima Smirnov, Dewberry Consultants, Denver, CO
"Investigating the local atmospheric response to a realistic shift in the Oyashio sea-surface temperature front"
- 31-Oct-2014: TBA
- 07-Nov-2014: Vijay Limaye, UW-Madison, SAGE
"Climate Change Impacts on Population Health: Modeling Exposures to Heat and Air Pollution"
- 13-Nov-2014 (Thursday): Steve Jackson, Director, Department of the Interior Southwest Climate Science Center
"Coming to terms with time in community ecology"
***Note: This seminar will be on Thursday, November 13, from 12:00pm - 1:00pm, at Birge Hall, Room 345***
(Steve Jackson will also be presenting a CPEP seminar on Friday, November 14th.)
- 14-Nov-2014: Steve Jackson, Director, Department of the Interior Southwest Climate Science Center
"Challenges and Opportunities for Resource Management and Conservation Science in a Changing Climate"
***Note: This seminar will be at 1:00.***
- 21-Nov-2014: TBA
- 28-Nov-2014: No Seminar, Thanksgiving Break
- 05-Dec-2014: TBA
- 12-Dec-2014: TBA
- 24-Jan-2014: No Seminar
- 31-Jan-2014: No Seminar
- 7-Feb-2014: No Seminar
- 14-Feb-2014: John Liu, UW-Madison, Community and Environmental Sociology
"Uncooperative Carbon: Examining the Material Foundation of Global Carbon Market"
- 21-Feb-2014: Paul Block, UW-Madison, Civil and Environmental Engineering
"Tailoring climate information for water resources management"
- 28-Feb-2014: Chris Forest, Pennsylvania State University, Department of Meteorology
"Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity: A discussion of the IPCC AR5 estimates and some recent results"
- 7-Mar-2014: Alfonso Morales, UW-Madison, Urban and Regional Planning
"Wicked Problems? Wicked Opportunities! Direct and Indirect Responses to Climate Change"
- 14-Mar-2014: Yannick Peings, University of California, Irvine, Department of Earth System Science
"Resurgence of cold winters in northern mid-latitudes: is it related to Arctic sea ice decline?"
- 21-Mar-2014: No Seminar, Spring Break
- 28-Mar-2014: Sam Stechmann, UW-Madison, Dept. of Mathematics
"A Model of the Madden-Julian Oscillation's Skeleton"
- 4-Apr-2014: Tristan L'Ecuyer, UW-Madison, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
"Earth’s Energy Balance: Recent Developments and Future Challenges"
- 11-Apr-2014: Galen McKinley, UW-Madison, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Center for Climatic Research
"Climate Change and National Security: Implications and Preparedness"
- 17-Apr-2014 (Thursday): AOS Robock Lecture. Michael Mann, Pennsylvania State University,Dept. of Meteorology.
(Dr. Mann will also be presenting a CPEP seminar on Friday, April 18th.)
- 18-Apr-2014: Michael Mann, Pennsylvania State University, Department of Meteorology
"The Past as Prologue: Learning from the Climate Changes in Past Centuries"
- 25-Apr-2014: Paul Meier, UW-Madison, College of Engineering, Wisconsin Energy Institute
"Common Sense Objectives for U.S. Energy"
- 2-May-2014: Corbett Grainger, UW-Madison, Ag & Applied Economics
"Fossil Fuel Subsidies and Income Distribution"
- 9-May-2014: Karine Princé, UW-Madison, Forest and Wildlife Ecology
"Climate change in our backyards: the reshuffling of North America’s wintering bird communities"
- 13-Sep-2013: Curt Meine, Aldo Leopold Foundation
"Sustainability in Time and Space: Communicating the “Big Picture” of Conservation History and Environmental Change"
- 20-Sep-2013: Chris Kucharik, UW-Madison, Department of Agronomy
"Developing a Framework to Assess the Impacts of Climate Change, Shifting Land Use, and Urbanization on Ecosystem Services in a Midwestern Agricultural Landscape"
- 27-Sep-2013: TBA
- 4-Oct-2013: No Seminar
- 11-Oct-2013: Cora Betsinger, UW-Madison, Biochemistry and Genetics, Undergraduate Reid Bryson Scholarship Winner
"Proteomics, Mass Spectrometry, and the Search for Ancient Troy"
- 18-Oct-2013: No Seminar, CCR 50th Anniversary Celebration
- 25-Oct-2013: Wilko Graf von Hardenberg, UW-Madison, Environmental History
"The mean sea level. A history of science, technology and diplomacy"
- 1-Nov-2013: Simon Donner, University of British Columbia, Department of Geography
"Coral reefs in a warming world: Climate resilience lessons from the Central Equatorial Pacific"
- 8-Nov-2013: Brenna Holzhauer, Aldo Leopold Nature Center, Climate Education Center
"Climate Education at the Aldo Leopold Nature Center: a 21st Century Approach"
- 15-Nov-2013: Michael Notaro, UW-Madison, Center for Climatic Research
"Projected Change in Heavy Lake-Effect Snowstorms Across the Great Lakes Basin"
- 22-Nov-2013: Feng He, UW-Madison, Center for Climatic Research
"Glacial inception during the late Holocene without carbon emissions from early agriculture"
- 29-Nov-2013: No Seminar, Thanksgiving
- 6-Dec-2013: Karen Russ, UW-Madison, Department of Geography, Center for Climatic Research
"The Hydrological Cycle Response to Rapid versus Slow Global Warming"
- 13-Dec-2013: TBA (AGU Week)
- 1-Feb-2013: Paul Robbins
"Lessons from panthers, turfgrass, and mosquitoes: A Vision for the Gaylord Nelson Institute"
**1:00, Room 1025, Research Presentation Room, College of Engineering, 1550 Engineering Drive**
- 8-Feb-2013: Stan Temple
"Aldo Leopold, Phenology and Climate Change"
- 15-Feb-2013: Colin Cooke
"Linking geoarchaeological and paleoenvironmental archives of ancient mining and metallurgy in the Andes"
**1:00pm, Sift & Winnow Room (2nd Floor) at Union South**
- 22-Feb-2013: Dan Vimont
"Update on the Wisconsin Initiative on Climate Change Impacts"
- 1-Mar-2013: Mick Follows
"Southern Ocean Overturning Circulation and Atmospheric CO2"
- 8-Mar-2013: Simon Goring
"Vegetation-climate relationships using historical climate data from the 19th Century Forts & Observer Database, expanding species realized niches"
- 15-Mar-2013: Yan Yu
"Combining satellite, radiometric, and station data to study the temporal and spatial variations in atmospheric dust over Saudi Arabia"
- 22-Mar-2013: TBA
- 29-Mar-2013: No Talk Scheduled - Spring Break
- 5-Apr-2013: Rob Spencer
From the Arctic to the Equator: The Role of Rivers in the Carbon Cycle
- 12-Apr-2013: Jason Vargo
"Interactions Between Urban Planning and Regional Extreme Heat"
- 19-Apr-2013: TBA
- 25-Apr-2013: Evan Larson "Shifting States in Climate, Tree Growth, and Ecosystem Dynamics at Arctic and Alpine Treelines"
**12:30 in Room 811**
- 3-May-2013: Malgorzata Golub
"Drivers of Temporal Variability in Aquatic Carbon Cycling: Analysis of Multi-Decade and High-Frequency CO2 Observations in North Temperate Lakes"
- 10-May-2013: Dominique Brossard
"Science Communication in the Online World: Challenges and Opportunities"
- 29-May-2013: Apurva Dave
"Large-Scale Physical Controls on Low- and Mid-Latitude Marine Primary Productivity"
- 14-Sep-2012: Guangshan Chen
"Regional Modeling of Middle Eastern Dust Storms"
- 21-Sep-2012: No Talk Scheduled
- 28-Sep-2012: Eric Carson
"Assessing late-glacial and post-glacial sedimentary records preserved in ice-marginal lakes, south-central Wisconsin
- 5-Oct-2012: Val Bennington
"Climatic Controls of Great Lakes Evaporation: Implications for Lake Water Supplies"
- 12-Oct-2012: Feng He
"Northern Hemisphere Forcing of Southern Hemisphere Climate During the Onset of the Last Deglaciation"
- 19-Octr-2012: Jenn Phillips
"Potential for and Ecosystem Impacts of Acidification of the Laurentian Great Lakes from Increasing Atomospheric CO2 Concentration"
- 26-Octr-2012: Abigail Mindock & Cara Sandlass
"Agroforestry in Bayonnais"
- 2-Nov-2012: Stefan Hastenrath
"Diagnosing the Decaying Glaciers of Equatorial East Africa"
- 8-Nov-2012: Mike Wallace
"A Global Climatology of Lightning"
**Thursday in Room 823 from 1:15pm to 2:45pm**
- 9-Nov-2012: No Talk Scheduled
- 16-Nov-2012: Paul Stoy
"Data-Intensive Strategies for Observing the Role of Ecosystems in the Climate System"
- 23-Nov-2012: No Talk Scheduled - Happy Thanksgiving!
- 30-Nov-2012: Dong Hua
"Simulating the Impacts of Woody Biomass Harvesting on North Temperate Forest Carbon and Nitrogen Cycling and Storage "
- 9-Feb-2012: Guangshan Chen
"Rethink the effects of Tebetan Plateau on Asian Monsoon"
- 17-Feb-2012: Jessica Blois
"Community responses to paleoclimate change"
- 24-Feb-2012: Simon Goring
"Holocene reconstructions for British Colombia, Canada using pollen as a proxy for climate: Applications, validation and trepidation"
- 15-Mar-2012: Raghu Murtugudde
"Regional Earth System Prediction - Water, Health, and Agriculture"
**Thursday** at 1:00 am in room 823
- 23-Mar-2012: Steve Vavrus
"Modeling Lake Ice with a Spreadsheet"
- 13-Apr-2012: Britta Jensen
"The AD 1600 eruption of Huaynaputina, Peru: tephrochronology through the lens of archaeology, ice cores, and lake sediments"
- 27-Apr-2012: Natalie Hunt
"Role of biofuels in meeting our future energy demands"
- FRIDAY 3-May-2012: Regan Early
"Species range shifts and the many dimensions of the ecological niche"
This will be in room 823.
- 11-May-2012: Val Bennington
"Great Lakes water levels using a regional climate model"
- 9/8/2011: Mark Serreze
"Arctic Amplification, the outsized warming of the Arctic compared to the rest of the planet"
- 9/29/2011: Alejandro Ordonez
"Climate change velocity in the state of Wisconsin"
- 10/12/2011: Michael Notaro
"Influence of Rocky Mountain snowpack on the North American monsoon"
- 10/25/2011: Allison Steiner
"Climate feedbacks from pollen as a biogenic aersol"
At 11:00 am in room 811 or 823
- 11/3/2011: Jennifer Shmitz
"The response of northern Wisconsin lake phytoplankton communities to drought events over the past 100 years"
- 11/10/20011: Fuyao Wang
- 11/17/2011: Nicholas David Preston
"the dotSkapes Project, and how these tools could be implemented for other global scale problems"
- 12/1/2011: Shu Wu
"On the observed relationship between the Pacific Decadal Oscillation and the Atlantic Multi-decadal Oscillation"
- 12/8/2011: Rachel Licker
"Integrating Climatic and Social Factors in Assessing Crop Yield Gaps: A Case Study Comparing the Breadbaskets of France and Russia"
- 12/15/2011: Feng He
"The biogeophysical effects of Holocene anthropogenic land cover changes in CCSM4"
- 2/4/2011: Janel Hanrahan, UW Milwaukee
"Recent climate impacts on teh water levels of Lakes Michigan and Huron"
- 2/11/2011: Bjorn Brooks, UW Madison
"Sources of variability, spatial representativeness, and filtering of mountaintop CO2 mixing ratios for application to carbon exchange inversion models"
- 2/18/2011: Tracy Holloway, UW Madison
"Air Quality, Energy, and Climate"
- 2/25/2011: Alerto Reyes, UW Madison
"Re-thinking temporal trends of deglacial and Holocene peatland inititation: implactions for the long-term role of peatlands in the carbon cycle"
- 3/4/2011: Sapna Sharma, UW Madison
"Will northern fish poplulations be in hot water because of climate change?"
- 3/11/2011: no talk scheduled yet
- 3/18/2011: spring break (no seminar)
- 3/25/2011: CPEP Pilot Project Awardee Presentations
Presentations by: Michael Notaro, Karen Russ, Kelsey Winsor, Yan Yu
- 4/1/2011: Kevin Mueller, University of Minnesota (12:30pm in AOSS 1209)
"Evaluating tree species effects on soil nitrogen and the implications for a predictive understanding of forest biogeochemistry and climate feebacks"
- 4/8/2011: David Ullman, UW Madison
"Baraboo Hills to Bear Caves: A new chronology of ice sheet retreat in Wisconsin"
- 4/15/2011: Kelsey Winsor, UW Madison
"Last deglacial ice sheet retreat along the southwestern coast of Greenland"
- 4/21/2011 (Thursday): Scott Loarie, Stanford University (3:30 pm in AOSS 811)
"Reconciling direct climate impacts iwth carbon emissions: a case study in the Brazilian Cerrado"
- 4/29/2011: Nancy Parker, UW Madison
"The influence of climate, cattle density, and lake morphology on Sporormiella abundances in modern lake sediments"
- 5/6/2011: Anders Carlson, UW Madison
"Preliminary Holocene history of the southwst Greenland ice sheet"
- 9/10/2010: Samantha Siedlecki, University of Chicago.
"The role of the bottom boundary layer in biogeochemical cycles of the coastal ocean." (note: 12-1pm in AOSS 1209)
- 9/16/2010: Gerald Meehl, NCAR
"Simulations of 20th and 21st century climates, problems and prospects: an informal discussion." (note: Thursday, 3-4pm, in AOSS 811)
- 10/1/2010: Jessica Blois, UW Madison.
"Ecological responses of wildlife to past climate change."
- 10/15/2010: Sam Munoz, UW Madison.
"Integrating humans into paleoecology"
- 10/22/2010: Frederick Nelson, University of Delaware
"The Circumpolar Active Layer Monitoring (CALM III) Network: Long-Term Observations on the Climate-Active Layer-Permafrost System" (note: 12:15-1:15pm in AOSS)
- 1209; Co-sponsored by the Department of Geography)
- 10/29/2010: Chad Rittenhouse, UW Madison.
"Synergies and tradeoffs among climate change mitigation strategies for Wisconsin's forests"
- 11/5/2010: Yarrow Axford, Northwestern University.
"Vikings, midges and Holocene lake mud: Late Holocene paleoclimate studies on Iceland" (*note: seminar will be in Weeks A259)
- 11/9/2010: Charlotte Streck, Director of Climate Focus
"The Intersection of Climate Science, Politics and Public Opinion: A Crisis of Confidence in Climate Policy?" (note: seminar is Tuesday, 4-5pm, in AOSS 823).
- 11/19/2010: Mike Notaro, UW Madison.
"Influence of Vegetation Feedbacks on Monsoons"
- 12/3/2010: Kate Brauman, University of Minnesota
- 12/10/2010: Sierra Pope, University of Ottawa
"Reductions in Multiyear Landfast Sea Ice in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago"
- 1/28/2010: David Nogues-Bravo, Center for Macroecology, Evolution and Climate, University of Copenhagen.
"Climate Predictors of Late Quaternary Extinctions."
- 2/04/2010: Lisa Colville, Department of Geoscience, UW Madison.
"Extent of the Southern Ice Sheet During Marine Isotope Stage 5e."
- 2/11/2010: Larissa Back, Department of Atmospheric and Ocean Sciences, UW Madison.
- 2/18/2010: No Seminar
- 2/22/2010: Subodh Sharma, Department of Biological Sciences, Towson University.
"Warming signs of Climate Change in the Himalaya. " (Note: Monday, 12:00).
- 3/04/2010: Zhengyu Liu, Department of Atmospheric and Ocean Sciences, UW Madison.
"A Review of the Mechanism of Decadal Climate Variability"
- 3/12/2010: Rebecca Goldman, The Nature Conservancy.
"Water funds: Conservation approaches that help people and nature adapt to climate change." (Note: Friday, 11:30)
- 3/18/2010: Ken Raffa, Department of Entomology, UW Madison.
"Anatomy of A Tipping Point: Bark Beetles, Thresholds and Altered Disturbance Regimes."
- 3/26/2010: Gavin Schmidt.
"Can we use palao-climate to enhance the reliability of future climate projections?" (Note: Friday, 11:00).
- 4/08/2010: Carol Barford, Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment, UW Madison.
- 4/15/2010: Anders Carlson, Department of Geosciences, UW Madison.
"What Caused the Younger Dryas? A Review of Existing Hypotheses."
- 4/22/2010: Cancelled
- 4/29/2010: TBA
- 5/06/2010: TBA