CPEP Seminar Series
Each semester the Climate, People, and the Environment Program hosts a weekly seminar featuring lectures by visiting speakers as well as presentations by CPEP faculty, scientists, and students. In some semesters the CPEP Seminar has a unifying theme and, in addition to speakers, weekly meetings may serve as workshops to discuss research issues and be a springboard for collaborative papers. CPEP seminar presentations are held in conjunction with the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (AOS) and are open to the public. Events are listed on the Environmental Events Webpage by the Nelson Institute and posted in AOS and other relevant departments.
CCR/CPEP Spring 2014 Seminar Schedule
All seminars are on Fridays at 1:30 in AOSS Room 811, 1225 W. Dayton St., unless otherwise noted. Please join us for coffee before the seminar at 1:15 in AOSS 853.
- 24-Jan-2014: No Seminar
- 31-Jan-2014: No Seminar
- 7-Feb-2014: No Seminar
- 14-Feb-2014: John Liu, Community and Environmental Sociology, UW-Madison
"Uncooperative Carbon: Examining the Material Foundation of Global Carbon Market"
- 21-Feb-2014: Paul Block, Civil and Environmental Engineering, UW-Madison
"Tailoring climate information for water resources management"
- 28-Feb-2014: Chris Forest, Dept. of Meteorology, The Pennsylvania State University
"Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity: A discussion of the IPCC AR5 estimates and some recent results"
- 7-Mar-2014: Alfonso Morales, Urban and Regional Planning, UW-Madison
"Wicked Problems? Wicked Opportunities! Direct and Indirect Responses to Climate Change"
- 14-Mar-2014: Yannick Peings, Dept. of Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine
"Resurgence of cold winters in northern mid-latitudes: is it related to Arctic sea ice decline?"
- 21-Mar-2014: No Seminar, Spring Break
- 28-Mar-2014: Sam Stechmann, Dept. of Mathematics, UW-Madison
"A Model of the Madden-Julian Oscillation's Skeleton"
- 4-Apr-2014: Tristan L'Ecuyer, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, UW-Madison
"Earth’s Energy Balance: Recent Developments and Future Challenges"
- 11-Apr-2014: Galen McKinley, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Center for Climatic Research, UW-Madison
"Climate Change and National Security: Implications and Preparedness"
- 17-Apr-2014 (Thursday): AOS Robock Lecture. Michael Mann, Dept. of Meteorology, Pennsylvania State University.
(Dr. Mann will also be presenting a CPEP seminar on Friday, April 18th.)
- 18-Apr-2014: Michael Mann, Dept. of Meteorology, Pennsylvania State University
"The Past as Prologue: Learning from the Climate Changes in Past Centuries"
- 25-Apr-2014: Paul Meier, College of Engineering, Wisconsin Energy Institute, UW-Madison
"Common Sense Objectives for U.S. Energy"
- 2-May-2014: Corbett Grainger, Ag & Applied Economics, UW-Madison
"Fossil Fuel Subsidies and Income Distribution"
- 9-May-2014: Karine Princé, Forest and Wildlife Ecology, UW-Madison
"Climate change in our backyards: the reshuffling of North America’s wintering bird communities"