CPEP Seminar Series
Each semester the Climate, People, and the Environment Program hosts a weekly seminar featuring lectures by visiting speakers as well as presentations by CPEP faculty, scientists, and students. In some semesters the CPEP Seminar has a unifying theme and, in addition to speakers, weekly meetings may serve as workshops to discuss research issues and be a springboard for collaborative papers. CPEP seminar presentations are held in conjunction with the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (AOS) and are open to the public. Events are listed on the Environmental Events Webpage by the Nelson Institute and posted in AOS and other relevant departments.
CCR/CPEP Fall 2014 Seminar Schedule
All seminars are on Fridays at 1:30 in AOSS Room 811, 1225 W. Dayton St., unless otherwise noted. Please join us for coffee before the seminar at 1:15 in AOSS 853.
- 05-Sep-2014: No Seminar
- 12-Sep-2014: Jason Otkin, CIMSS, UW-Madison
"Monitoring Drought Conditions Using the Evaporative Stress Index"
- 19-Sep-2014: Ken Potter, Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engineering, UW-Madison
"Adapting to Flood Risk in a Changing Climate"
- 26-Sep-2014: Webinar: Channa Palmer and Tony King, Oak Ridge National Lab
"Introduction and Opportunities at Oak Ridge National Laboratory"
- 03-Oct-2014: Shane Hubbard, SSEC, UW-Madison
"Identifying Patterns of Spatiotemporal Flood Response Events Based Upon the Priorities of Decision Makers"
- 10-Oct-2014: Joe Milanovich, Dept. of Biology, Loyola University Chicago
"Using Species Distribution Models to Inform Amphibian Conservation Decisions Involving Climate and Land-use Change"
- 17-Oct-2014: Holly Gibbs, SAGE and Dept. of Geography, UW-Madison
"Leveraging Supply Chain Governance to Reduce Deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon"
- 24-Oct-2014: Dima Smirnov, Dewberry Consultants, Denver, CO
"Investigating the local atmospheric response to a realistic shift in the Oyashio sea-surface temperature front"
- 31-Oct-2014: TBA
- 07-Nov-2014: Vijay Limaye, SAGE, UW-Madison
"Climate Change Impacts on Population Health: Modeling Exposures to Heat and Air Pollution"
- 13-Nov-2014 (Thursday): Steve Jackson, Director, Department of the Interior Southwest Climate Science Center
"Coming to terms with time in community ecology"
***Note: This seminar will be on Thursday, November 13, from 12:00pm - 1:00pm, at Birge Hall, Room 345***
(Steve Jackson will also be presenting a CPEP seminar on Friday, November 14th.)
- 14-Nov-2014: Steve Jackson, Director, Department of the Interior Southwest Climate Science Center
"Challenges and Opportunities for Resource Management and Conservation Science in a Changing Climate"
***Note: This seminar will be at 1:00.***
- 21-Nov-2014: TBA
- 28-Nov-2014: No Seminar, Thanksgiving Break
- 05-Dec-2014: TBA
- 12-Dec-2014: TBA