NCL Scripts and Information
- How to use NCL scripts.
- NCL Data Processing Scripts
- NCL Functions
- NCAR Graphics Documentation: Helpful Links
How to use NCL scripts.
- To run a NCL script: Type ncl < scriptname at the Unix prompt. Example: ncl < sfcwind.ncl.
- Data indexing in NCL: All indexing starts with 0 (0 ... n -1) -- unlike GrADS, which indexes data sets from 1 (1 ... n). For example, if there are 5 seasons in a data file, NCL indexes them (0:4).
NCL Data Processing Scripts
- Note: scripts that have
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl" load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl" load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl" load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/shea_util.ncl"at the beginning are meant for use on NCAR computers. If you use these scripts locally, you will need to download the NCL functions.
- Calculate SLP (FOAM example)
- Unpack netCDF data that has "scale_factor" and "add_offset" attributes and write it to a new file
- Make time "unlimited" in a series of netCDF files
- Convert Ascii Data to netCDF
- Compute Linear Trend Using SST Data
- Regrid FOAM Data from R15 Grid to 128x128 Fixed Grid
- Regrid NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis Data for Comparison with CCR GCM Output
- Read in data from a netCDF file, do some calculations, and write the new variable to a new netCDF file (Genesis LSX example)
- Read in data from a netCDF file, do some calculations, and write the new variable to a new netCDF file while making time "unlimited" (Genesis LSX example)
- Convert data from modern calendar to celestial calendar (CSM example)
- Compute streamfunction, velocity potential, divergence, and vorticity (FOAM example)
- Fit POP ocean data to regular lat/lon grid and output to new file
- Built-in NCL functions and procedures
- Contributed NCL Functions
- Shea_Utilities (mostly graphics)
- CCSM Specific (heat transport)
NCAR Graphics Documentation: Helpful Links
- NCAR Graphics index
- NCAR Graphics® FAQ
- Getting started using NCL - Hints and tips for using NCL
- CSM NCL Pages
- NCL reference pages
- vinth2p, vinth2p_ecmwf (function to convert sigma to pressure levels)
- uv2sfvpf, uv2sfvpg (functions to compute stream function and velocity potential)
- uv2vrdvf, uv2vrdvg (functions to compute vorticity and divergence)
- NCL Graphics Example Pages
- NCL Functions and Procedures Organized by Category
- File Handling with the CMPS